Tuesday, March 19, 2013

299. Gold Dust Woman


I have always loved Fleetwood Mac, but for some reason over this vacation I have become truly obsessed. I'm playing their songs on repeat, reading co-producer Ben Caillat's book "Making Rumours",  and even got tickets to see them live this June with my mom and sis (!!!!). 

 I am especially enchanted by Stevie Nicks, though--the mystical gypsy queen hippie rock goddess who added so much of that intangible magic to the band. She wore billowing chiffon dresses, platform boots, and decorated her half-moon tambourine with ribbons and scarves. Rhiannon, Silver Springs, Dreams, Gypsy, and I Don't Want to Know were all written by her and are all some of my favorites. Also, can't get enough of her and Lindsey Buckingham </3 <3

"Stevie danced around the room to the music with her arms above her head. I didn't know it at the time, but she believed that she had magical powers. Later, I understood that she probably thought she was chanting up a good mix from Richard and me."
-Ben Caillat, Making Rumours

 

"Much of the time, Stevie sat curled up on the couch behind us in the control room, with a shawl around her neck and Ginny at her feet. Sometimes she took baby tokes off a joint and drank tea. She could sit for hours on that couch, observing and chatting; she loved to laugh. I thought she was especially cute when she was laughing. She was so great back then, really down to earth. What a change she would go through."
-Ben Caillat, Making Rumours


1 comment:

  1. I really want to read this book now! Stevie is soooo cool, I'm incredibly jealous you're seeing her live!! This cover got me like, sooo deeply into Fleetwood Mac... Dreams is one of my favourite songs of all-time :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkoyqLQgWOs

    ReplyDelete